Blog Translation

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homemade Potpourri

Last week I made my first small batch of potpourri.  Another first!

I had recently noticed that the nice smelling packets in some of my drawers had run out of their nice smell, so I figured that was a good reason to make my own since I had some ingredients on hand.  I already had plenty of lavender that I bought a few months ago at Meadowsweet Herbs in Missoula, and a couple weeks back I stopped in there again to see what I could find.  I left with some dried red rose petals and catnip, but the catnip will be used for something else.  Reading an online article about uses for dried rose petals helped me make the connection to make my own potpourri. 

Then when I cleaned out my spice cupboard a couple weeks ago while making taco seasoning, I came across an unopened container of cloves.  The expiration date had long since passed, but as it was unopened I figured why not use the cloves for craft projects.  Using the cloves in the potpourri mix gave me a reason to get out my mortar & pestle and finally use it!  For the essential oils, I already had some on hand so I looked to see what would work and I went with lemon and juniper. 


Potpourri ingredients:
red rose petals, lavender, cloves, lemon and juniper essential oils



After grinding the cloves with the mortar & pestle, I put all the ingredients in a plastic container.  I used almost the whole jar of lavender, since I had plenty to spare; all of the little jar of red rose petals went in and I added some more from the big jar.  I couldn't say for sure how much of the cloves I used, but enough so I could get a nice smell in the mix.  Then I added anywhere from 5 to 15 drops of the essential oils.  Since this was my first time I was just seeing what I could come up with and didn't keep track.  Once everything was mixed in the container, I put the lid on and set it in the box that holds my homebrew bottles, as the homebrew bottles are kept in the dark while they wait to be moved to the fridge, and various directions I read for potpourri said to keep it in a dark place while it sits for a week. 


The potpourri mixture



Today was the 7th day since making the potpourri, so I opened the container and put the mix into four little sachets that I already had.  There's definitely a strong lemon scent, but overall I like it and I think it will get the job done of freshening up my drawers.  I placed the four sachets in various drawers 10 or 15 minutes ago and just did a check on it.  Yep, it's smelling better already! 


The finished product!



Since this was my first time making potpourri I only did a small batch, as I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'll definitely be making more in the future.  I look forward to stopping in to Meadowsweet Herbs again and seeing what else I'll be able to find.  The more creating I do, the more awesome shops I discover in downtown Missoula.  Meadowsweet Herbs is around the corner from my favorite sewing shop, Selvedge Studio, and there's also a great bookstore along the way between the two, Shakespeare & Co.  Who needs a mall when you've got the Hip Strip in Missoula!