Skip to main content

Hank Schrader: The 'Bad' Behind the Badge

See more Pix by Eve Penman @ EvePenmanPix.BlogSpot.Com

The recent multi-week marathon of AMC's Breaking Bad ended the other night, but I could not bring myself to watch the ending again, not yet anyways. I am still heartbroken from the first time I watched it.

The entire series leaves me laughing and lamenting; feeling torn and twisted, amused and awestruck; unsure what to think from one scene to the next, and humanely woeful for all the parties involved. 


Pretty much how I used to feel at the end of a day of taking down the record in legal proceedings. I think that is one reason I enjoy Breaking Bad as much as I do; the dynamics of the characters parallel what I have seen played out in real life.

When it comes to not knowing what to think, it seems as if the total no-brainer of the series is that Walter White is the baddest of the bad, the cruelest of the cruel, and the horror of all horrors. Walter is no saint, I give him that. However, is Walter the only bad character on the show? Not by a long shot.

There is book-cooking Skyler, kleptomaniac Marie, and lying Lydia, just to name a few of my favorite bad girls; not to mention the countless characters throughout the series who carry out the orders of whoever is paying them, no matter how bad the order is.


But then there is the archvillain of Walter; the unsung hero, in the eyes of many who live in a land ruled by arbitrary laws and are guarded by a devious henchman of laws, called a DEA agent. That's right, Hank Schrader, the baddest of all bads -- a dirty law enforcement officer. Okay, maybe not super dirty, but dirty enough to be just as bad as, and maybe in some respects worse than, Walter White.

Just like Walter, Hank is no saint, but one major difference I see in the two characters is that Hank, as a law enforcement officer with the Drug Enforcement Administration, has taken an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America as a requirement of performing his basic job duties; whereas Walter being a high school chemistry teacher, to my understanding, is not charged with the same responsibility to uphold the Constitution in his work capacity.

That alone sets the two fictitious characters apart in levels of badness that are easy to overlook in a society where a good-sized consensus hold the blind belief that law enforcement officers can do no wrong.

Hank does plenty wrong. In fact, I cannot help but wonder: Had Hank listened to his superiors early on and never pursued the cases as he was told, would he have lived? As it plays out, Hank is a bad boy and does not follow orders, and as such he does not live. Oh, such fate-ridden heartache, I just love it!, especially since it is fiction.

As well, Hank bails his wife Marie out of her kleptomaniac problems time and again, to the point where he jokes about her robbing a bank when a colleague stops by to visit.
 


Think about that: How good is it of Hank, as a law enforcement officer, to not do right by his charge and turn in Marie? Instead he uses his position of power to pull strings and get her out of hot water; and if a law enforcement officer is not willing to do that for everyone else, is that right of him to do it at all?

Granted, this is only a television program and not real life, but it is a program that triggers my mind like nothing else on the boob tube because the fictional scenarios and character dynamics have strong similarities to matters I have witnessed firsthand. Thus, I wanted to share my thoughts about the ethical dilemmas and questions I see being presented should others not see them as I do. It is a dirty job, but someone has to dissent.



Click Here to Dissent

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to Hank not turning Marie in that is a loving thing for Hank to do, because he understandably does not want something to happen to Marie (and possibly his career), so it benefits him overall to help her when she needs it. 

Just like Walter, Hank is willing to do much for his family when it comes to protecting Marie from herself. Still, it does not look good in my dissenting eyes when sorting through the 'good' and the 'bad,' yet at the same time I totally get why Hank does it. Oh, such delicious dynamics!


Next, there is the entire way in which Hank goes about gathering evidence on many of his cases, which is not always within his work guidelines or the bounds of the Constitution, and that is made crystal clear in the very first episodes of the series by the revealing dialogue between the characters.

Hank, as a law enforcement officer throughout the series, does not tell people the full truth in order to get the information he is seeking and as such encourages his underlings to work in the same way; nor does he care if anything happens to people in police custody since they are all scumbags in his eyes.


So, how does that make Hank into a good person? It does not, not in the slightest to me. All it makes Hank look like is a dirty dick-ass cop who only cares about himself and solving his cases no matter who is harmed. And how is that any different than Walter, who will do whatever it takes to protect himself and his family?



Hank and Walter are mirror opposites in that they have the same good intentions for what they do and they both leave trails of victims in their wake, whether intentionally or not. The only difference is that one has a badge to do it legally as a law enforcement officer and is therefore automatically, without question, viewed as 'good' because of it. I love it!

Hank obviously has no regard for the Constitution, none whatsoever unless it is serving him, and neither does Marie as it stands out in my recollection of her poo-pooing the document a couple times in the series due to it keeping Hank from getting his perps. Now that is scary.

Of course Walter is scary too, no doubt about that, but law enforcement officers who do not respect their legal bounds are scarier to me because they seem more prevalent in modern America than mild-mannered chemistry teachers turned mad-minded meth chefs who take down international drug kingpins with the magic of science. Between the two, which have you read about most in the news?



Exactly.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

For more dissension from the herd,

check out my new book:



Popular posts from this blog

The Problem With TCM's Closed Captions and How To Fix It (For DISH Customers!)

Captioning Service 1 is the DISH default; switching it to 0 (zero) works with TCM captions. I don't want my MTV any more, but I do want my captions, especially on TCM where old movies are full of fuzzy sounds, funny accents, and mumbling voices -- and thanks be to the stenographers who make it possible! However, the past few months TCM's captions have not been as consistent and it made me question if they stopped captions altogether since all the other channels still had captions. The good news is TCM didn't do away with captions, but the Captioning Service setting did change without any word given to DISH customers or TCM viewers, at least not to this one. Scroll to the end to read the solution for DISH customers, or keep reading for my rhetorical digression: Gee, if only there was a way to inform paying customers of changes like this? For all the useless information TCM hosts spew, they could at least give some useful information since their captions are th

How I’m Saving Over $700 a Year by Shopping at Costco (Blue Collar Home Economics for Beginners)

Q: What’s the best way to save money when shopping at Costco? A: Buy items that are used every day! The more an item is used, the more that item is needed; therefore, if the most used items in a house are bought in bulk (at Costco or any warehouse club store), the more money it will save. I did a cost analysis on three food items that are used 5 to 7 days a week in my home and I was amazed at the findings when I compared the cost for the items in bulk to purchasing the items in smaller quantities; namely lunch cheese, coffee, and lunch meat. Please keep in mind that prices can vary by location and if there are weekly specials; the information I’m presenting is based on the prices listed on my receipts where I live, the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. Lunch Cheese: In December of 2019 we started purchasing the 2.5lb block of Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese at Costco for my husband’s lunches that he has five days a week, instead of the 7.5oz packages of sliced Sargento

Kinky Kicks, Disgraceful Dames, & Hollywood Hypocrisy! My 10-star Movie Review of 'Smarty' from 1934

My 10-star review on IMDb.com of ‘Smarty’ from 1934 , starring Joan Blondell, Warren William, Edward Everett Horton, Frank McHugh, and Claire Dodd:  Kinky Kicks, Disgraceful Dames, & Hollywood Hypocrisy! Marriage and divorce lawyers take a bigger beating in this movie than Joan Blondell does, and if a single slap on the face equates to domestic violence then people don't know what domestic violence really is! There is more violence against women in modern movies than there is in this film, yet people are now programmed to believe that it's acceptable for women to get beaten so long as it isn't by their husbands! Please, go sit through 'True Romance' and watch Patricia Arquette take a bloody beating from James Gandolfini if you think 'Smarty' is violence against women. Even 'Goodfellas' has more marital violence, yet both AMC & IFC can't stop showing it which tells me that reckless violence against women is the status quo per th