5.01.2017

Free Speech Bumper Stickers

I love bumper stickers. Don't you? I have been reading bumper stickers the majority of my life and have not grown tired of them yet. 

I love the shorthand nature of a bumper sticker. Perhaps the sticker is not as deep and drawn out (or as time consuming) as a book; yet, somehow, one short statement placed on the back of a bumper or elsewhere can have as profound an impact on an individual as a big book can. 

Funny how that works, but that is relativity for you. 


And that is what made me ponder: Why put all my writing creativity only into book format when I have been a bumper-sticker reader my whole life, and other people read stickers and buy them the same as people buy books? Why, indeed. 

That's why I began writing bumper stickers for my Prose and Pix shop at Zazzle back in 2015. In fact, one of my earlier bumper stickers had its first sale this past week and I was delighted to see that someone from my own state of Washington was the lucky buyer. Thank you, buyer!

The sticker is a mash-up statement inspired by a popular phrase that brings to light the fine line I see between popular speech and free speech, and how easy it is to blur the line between the two, to the point where people may say the most inhumane, unpopular words simply because they have free speech; or, likewise, one's popular speech that is followed by many may not necessarily be made freely because the speaker is anchored to it out of necessity to a career, a following, or possibly they are forced to say it by another who holds a higher power over them. 

Whatever the case may be, it is something worth pondering and reading -- and buying!: POPULAR SPEECH IS NOT ALWAYS FREE -- FREE SPEECH IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR. 



No comments: