Skip to main content

Clean Home Hacks & The Etiquette of House Shoes

No Shoes, No Dice: Memes by Eve @ Imgflip.com
No Shoes, No Dice: Just say NO to no shoes and YES to house shoes

No Shoes, No Dice: Memes by Eve @ Imgflip

Inspired by what we practice in our home house shoes.

Our entrance area has two trays of shoes, one for each of us, along with plenty of room to maneuver and set stuff down when changing shoes. I don’t keep all our shoes there, but only a select few pair that are most commonly worn outside, along with the house shoes.

  • House shoes can be any kind of shoe, but its purpose is to stay in the house and not be worn outside, so that no outside dirt gets on them and tracked all over the house; i.e., cross-contamination.
  • House shoes are not slippers
    • House shoes are intended for working in the house
      • Slippers are intended for relaxing in the house
        • House shoes are not slippers

I prefer easy slip-on shoes, nothing with laces; the point is to make it quick and easy; if changing shoes takes longer than it’s worth then it’s just a nuisance; and the trick is to make it a habit, then it’s what you automatically do because it’s a habit. I can actually feel that I missed a step if I don’t change my shoes now because my muscles remember the routine and habit; muscle memory is awesome like that.

We have plenty of dirt outside, so this way all the excess dirt stays on the entrance area rug and makes it more efficient for cleaning, instead of dirt being dragged all over the house; I don’t even vacuum my entire house every day now since the majority of the dirt stays in the entrance area, which was why I designed the entrance area to function like that – to clean smarter, not harder.

I find it quite gross and disgusting with all the unseen microscopic bacterial diseases in America that it’s expected to remove one’s shoes in someone else’s home when I don’t know their level of cleanliness, and they don’t know if a guest is carrying something on them and leaving it behind – and the guest may not even know they’re carrying something.

Not only that, whatever happened to treating guests like guests instead of one of the family; or just being civilized in the 21st Century in one’s own home? People start hanging barn doors inside and everyone acts like they were born in a barn.

Walking around in bare feet or socked feet is rudimentary and negligent and tends to create problems that could be avoided altogether by wearing sturdy shoes like people in first world countries do; my ancestors left other countries for something better and I like to think something better includes not being barefoot or shoeless in my own home.

Find more Memes by Eve @ Imgflip






Popular posts from this blog

The Problem With TCM's Closed Captions and How To Fix It (For DISH Customers!)

Captioning Service 1 is the DISH default; switching it to 0 (zero) works with TCM captions. I don't want my MTV any more, but I do want my captions, especially on TCM where old movies are full of fuzzy sounds, funny accents, and mumbling voices -- and thanks be to the stenographers who make it possible! However, the past few months TCM's captions have not been as consistent and it made me question if they stopped captions altogether since all the other channels still had captions. The good news is TCM didn't do away with captions, but the Captioning Service setting did change without any word given to DISH customers or TCM viewers, at least not to this one. Scroll to the end to read the solution for DISH customers, or keep reading for my rhetorical digression: Gee, if only there was a way to inform paying customers of changes like this? For all the useless information TCM hosts spew, they could at least give some useful information since their captions are th

How I’m Saving Over $700 a Year by Shopping at Costco (Blue Collar Home Economics for Beginners)

Q: What’s the best way to save money when shopping at Costco? A: Buy items that are used every day! The more an item is used, the more that item is needed; therefore, if the most used items in a house are bought in bulk (at Costco or any warehouse club store), the more money it will save. I did a cost analysis on three food items that are used 5 to 7 days a week in my home and I was amazed at the findings when I compared the cost for the items in bulk to purchasing the items in smaller quantities; namely lunch cheese, coffee, and lunch meat. Please keep in mind that prices can vary by location and if there are weekly specials; the information I’m presenting is based on the prices listed on my receipts where I live, the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. Lunch Cheese: In December of 2019 we started purchasing the 2.5lb block of Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese at Costco for my husband’s lunches that he has five days a week, instead of the 7.5oz packages of sliced Sargento

Kinky Kicks, Disgraceful Dames, & Hollywood Hypocrisy! My 10-star Movie Review of 'Smarty' from 1934

My 10-star review on IMDb.com of ‘Smarty’ from 1934 , starring Joan Blondell, Warren William, Edward Everett Horton, Frank McHugh, and Claire Dodd:  Kinky Kicks, Disgraceful Dames, & Hollywood Hypocrisy! Marriage and divorce lawyers take a bigger beating in this movie than Joan Blondell does, and if a single slap on the face equates to domestic violence then people don't know what domestic violence really is! There is more violence against women in modern movies than there is in this film, yet people are now programmed to believe that it's acceptable for women to get beaten so long as it isn't by their husbands! Please, go sit through 'True Romance' and watch Patricia Arquette take a bloody beating from James Gandolfini if you think 'Smarty' is violence against women. Even 'Goodfellas' has more marital violence, yet both AMC & IFC can't stop showing it which tells me that reckless violence against women is the status quo per th