Skip to main content

Licensed to Wife: 10 Practical Points for an Empowered Wife

Licensed to wife. Memes by Eve
Q: Can an empowered woman be a housewife?

A: Only if she wants to!

I recently came across a post on Tumblr entitled ’10 Important Points for a Wife’ and it had some good information, albeit vague, but I didn’t agree with everything and found it to be a bit too submissive for my liking. 

As an over-40 GenXer who has been programmed with empowering feminism my whole life, not to mention I have a work history that's as long as the lifespan of a young 20-something housewife, I refuse -- refuse! -- to act like an inexperienced and submissive wife who doesn’t think for herself.

Yet, at the same time, I don’t want to be overbearing or overpowering to my husband because that is not being a good partner, which is my ultimate goal as his duly licensed wife; and it’s a challenge that other women may have too if they received the same programming and have become housewives after leaving the feministic workforce where they spent most of their lives.

I Refuse: Goldie Hawn in Overboard

So, for any women facing the same challenges and looking for ideas on how to be a housewife in the 21st Century, and a good marriage partner without being dominated or dominating, I offer my version of 10 Practical Points for an Empowered Wife, based on my own experiences and what I've learned from past mistakes; each number below is from the original post '10 Important Points for a Wife' with underlining; my additions are after the dashes in italics and continue in bullet points:

10 Practical Points for an Empowered Wife:

1. Defer to your man’s judgment -- unless you know more about something than he does! 
  • Even in court you don’t defer to someone who knows less, and I wouldn’t recommend it in a marriage. 
    • My husband is an expert in areas that I’m a novice in, and vice versa; he respects my areas of expertise and I respect his; therefore, we both defer to each other based on our knowledge, experience, and what is best for what we both want.
2. Wear dresses or skirts -- unless you live in cold temperatures! 
  • I invite anyone who lives with sun 9 to 12 months a year to go live in Montana where there is six months of winter and try shoveling snow in a skirt or dress; I understand leggings can be worn, but sometimes practicality outranks stereotyped femininity. 
    • Better than dresses or skirts, ask your husband to buy you perfume in a scent he likes; perfume can be worn in any season and it goes with any clothing, or no clothing at all. I asked my husband to buy me perfume on my last birthday, and every time I wear it, he comments how much he likes it and it always makes me think of him. 
      • However, if you or he have fragrance sensitivities, it’s probably best to pass on the perfumes and find something else that makes you feel loved by your husband.
3. Make a periodic manicure -- unless money is not plentiful and there are more practical things to spend money on, or if you don’t trust the levels of cleanliness in nail places! 
  • When I was going through court reporting school, the licensing agent from the Washington State Department of Licensing paid us a visit to give us a talk about licensing issues; she was also in charge of overseeing the licensing of spas, and she shared with us some horror stories of what they found in places where women take their feet to be pampered. 
    • I understand not all places are unhygienic, and I’ve gone to nail salons in the past without problems, but at this point in my life I’ll pass on paying for a pedicure that may give me health issues and I’ll learn to take care of my feet at home, which is better for the household budget anyway.
4. When in doubt, ask permission -- better yet: When in doubt, talk it out! 
  • I do not ask my husband for permission about anything, nor does he ask me for permission; what we do is discuss anything that impacts the household before we make a final decision; sometimes the discussion turns argumentative when we both feel strongly about something and have different views, but that’s what marriage is about, working it out together to find the best solution. 
    • For instance, I don’t ask permission to spend money, but I do let him know when I’m thinking of buying something (other than groceries or regular household necessities that are allotted in the monthly budget) because I want to know if it’s good timing or if it should wait, in case there is something else that is needed that I don’t know about, like home renovations or truck repairs since those are his areas of expertise. 
      • I also like to discuss meal ideas with him to make sure it’s something he wants, because there are so many recipes to look at and my goal is a nutritious recipe but also something he will enjoy and won’t upset his digestion; when I’m not sure if it’s something he would want, I don't ask permission but I ask him what he thinks, and he always gives me good feedback and suggestions.
        • After all, the food isn’t just for me, it’s for both of us, and to not consider what he wants is not being a good partner; likewise, he understands what I want when it comes to meal planning -- simple, tasty, and something that doesn’t require 20 ingredients for one recipe, which is not practical for the food budget, nor do I like recipes that require using lots of dishes since I'm the dishwasher.
5. Ask yourself: what’s the most submissive option? -- unless you are not into being submissive or you don’t know what you are supposed to be submissive about! 
  • I understand and appreciate the kink of being submissive, but there is a time and a place for everything, and some things are best left in the bedroom. 
    • I am licensed to wife, which means I don’t come second to my husband, and he doesn’t come second to me; I am my husband’s partner and we each have an equal 50/50 share in our union. 
      • A better question to ask yourself is: What is most beneficial to our household, our partnership, and our budget? Refer to Number 4 above if you are unsure of the answer.
6. Be respectful -- especially of your husband’s time, space, place, and the money he makes! 
  • Respect his time: don’t keep him waiting for you because you think primping and preening is more important than leaving on time; 
    • don’t send him more texts in a day than are necessary (which wastes money too); 
      • and don’t demand to spend all his free time with him if he wants to do his own thing without you (i.e., read, surf the web, workout, etc.) 
  • Respect his space: don’t overrun closets and drawers with excessive amounts of your clothing so that he has no space for his own things. 
  • Respect his place as the most important man in your life: don’t ignore him for the sake of chatting online (or bitching about him) with friends, family, or strangers who don’t need to know your personal business. 
  • Respect the money he works hard to bring home: don’t create debt by wasting money on clothes/makeup/pampering/costly coffees/trendy frivolities/etc., especially if you are always broke before the month ends; 
    • all the money that comes into a household is for the betterment of everyone in the household and not just for the wife's enjoyment!
7. Commit to fitness -- but don’t have bigger muscles than him or compete with him like you’re one of his guy friends! 
  • A husband is your partner, not your competitor. 
8. Make him smile and laugh -- unless he’s recovering from hernia surgery and laughter causes pain! 
  • However, when not recovering from surgery or in pain, the more laughter there is in a home, the better.
9. Inspire him to be a better man -- by being a better woman! 
  • Don’t expect him to improve if you aren’t improving yourself too.
10. Value yourself -- by being of value to him! 
  • As a wife you are most valuable to your husband when you do useful things that make both of your lives better; be helpful by taking care of him and the home that you share together. 
    • If kids or pets are involved, take care of them too; 
      • and definitely take care of the money that you share so that it is not carelessly spent on valueless purchases!

The feminist who views the world at 50 the same as she did at 20 has wasted 30 years of her life. Memes by Eve
I dedicate this post to my husband, who encourages my writing endeavors and doesn't mind when I read my posts to him prior to publishing; I don’t do it for approval or permission, but because I want him to know what I’m up to, and I value his opinions and want to hear his feedback in case it gives me ideas on something to add, since I want to know what he thinks about how women should behave in a marriage at a time when women are either encouraged to not tolerate a man at all or act like a submissive 1950s housewife when it’s the 21st  Century.

Thank you for reading!

Find more of my stuff on my JenExxifer Tumblr blog

What do you think about the role of a wife in the 21st Century? Please leave questions and feedback in the comment section below

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem With TCM's Closed Captions and How To Fix It (For DISH Customers!)

Captioning Service 1 is the DISH default; switching it to 0 (zero) works with TCM captions. I don't want my MTV any more, but I do want my captions, especially on TCM where old movies are full of fuzzy sounds, funny accents, and mumbling voices -- and thanks be to the stenographers who make it possible! However, the past few months TCM's captions have not been as consistent and it made me question if they stopped captions altogether since all the other channels still had captions. The good news is TCM didn't do away with captions, but the Captioning Service setting did change without any word given to DISH customers or TCM viewers, at least not to this one. Scroll to the end to read the solution for DISH customers, or keep reading for my rhetorical digression: Gee, if only there was a way to inform paying customers of changes like this? For all the useless information TCM hosts spew, they could at least give some useful information since their captions are th

How I’m Saving Over $700 a Year by Shopping at Costco (Blue Collar Home Economics for Beginners)

Q: What’s the best way to save money when shopping at Costco? A: Buy items that are used every day! The more an item is used, the more that item is needed; therefore, if the most used items in a house are bought in bulk (at Costco or any warehouse club store), the more money it will save. I did a cost analysis on three food items that are used 5 to 7 days a week in my home and I was amazed at the findings when I compared the cost for the items in bulk to purchasing the items in smaller quantities; namely lunch cheese, coffee, and lunch meat. Please keep in mind that prices can vary by location and if there are weekly specials; the information I’m presenting is based on the prices listed on my receipts where I live, the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. Lunch Cheese: In December of 2019 we started purchasing the 2.5lb block of Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese at Costco for my husband’s lunches that he has five days a week, instead of the 7.5oz packages of sliced Sargento

Kinky Kicks, Disgraceful Dames, & Hollywood Hypocrisy! My 10-star Movie Review of 'Smarty' from 1934

My 10-star review on IMDb.com of ‘Smarty’ from 1934 , starring Joan Blondell, Warren William, Edward Everett Horton, Frank McHugh, and Claire Dodd:  Kinky Kicks, Disgraceful Dames, & Hollywood Hypocrisy! Marriage and divorce lawyers take a bigger beating in this movie than Joan Blondell does, and if a single slap on the face equates to domestic violence then people don't know what domestic violence really is! There is more violence against women in modern movies than there is in this film, yet people are now programmed to believe that it's acceptable for women to get beaten so long as it isn't by their husbands! Please, go sit through 'True Romance' and watch Patricia Arquette take a bloody beating from James Gandolfini if you think 'Smarty' is violence against women. Even 'Goodfellas' has more marital violence, yet both AMC & IFC can't stop showing it which tells me that reckless violence against women is the status quo per th